Competency 4. Strategic Planning
What is Strategic Planning?
Showcase examples of stories which show when you:
• Set priorities
• Focus energy and resources
• Strengthen operations
• Ensure that employees and other stakeholders are working toward common goals
• Establish agreements around intended outcomes/results, and assess and adjust the organisation's direction in response to a changing environment.
Effective strategic planning articulates
• Where an organisation is going
• The actions needed to make progress
• How it will know if it is successful
Planning Job Interview Questions
• Assigned to lead a new project, outline the steps that you have taken in the past, or would take in the future, to get the project on track and moving.
• Describe the work environment or culture in which you are most productive and happy.
• Have you ever participated on a team that required you to cooperate in the planning of a project? How would you describe the role that you played?
• Describe the components of your past jobs that had to do with planning. How effective was your performance in this planning role?
• During your most recent team project, how did you participate in the planning of the project? Describe your role in accomplishing the action steps needed to complete the project. How did you measure the success of the project?
• What career goals have you set for your life? What is your plan to accomplish them?
• What is your plan for your career? How would you define “success” for your career? At the end of your work life, what must have been present for you to feel as if you had a successful career?
• How would team members describe the role you played and the effectiveness of your contribution on a recent team project, department planning effort, or project?
• What are three tips you'd offer anyone who takes on a role that involves planning, making projections, and accountability for decisions?
• Describe any responsibilities that you have had in the past for manpower planning, materials and supply planning, shipping schedules, or vendor interaction?
• Describe the actions and behaviours of your manager or supervisor that you respond to most positively when you are participating in a project team activity.
• If you've had no hands on experience in business planning in the past, what makes you believe that you would successfully handle this role in our job?
• Describe the process that you used to develop a strategic plan for your department, section, or overall organisation.